Thursday, December 26, 2013

My New Best Friends

So if you have read any of my posts on travel you know I cherish "back door" travel experiences & I had a great one today.

We are on vacation on St. John, USVI as a family. We take the Ferry to St Thomas & meet our old friend (actually my parents friend we have known since childhood). She has arranged everything & soon we are high in the hills of St Thomas.
 
Megan's Bay

"Anyone want a great milkshake made right at the dairy?" If ever there was a "question that's not really a question"...

So we pull into Udder Delight. Everyone lines up to order at the front door. Then our driver Leroy grabs me & Harrison and says he has something else for us. He takes us around & thru a side door (an actual back door!!). He introduces us to Wendell the owner.

He tells Wendell to show us "the good stuff". This turns out to be alcohol steeping in funky bottles with leaves & bark.

At this point Nancy peaks the side door to see what’s up and then joins us. Wendel offers us shots with Fresca chasers. "What the hell", I say. Harrison says, "We aren't driving". So we all down one, chat with our hosts & then Harrison and I down another.

Everyone enjoys a milkshake. Life is good. We drive to a lunch spot. I'm sitting at the table feeling "odd". The clouds look strangely beautiful & a bit weird. I finally say to Harrison that I think the stuff we drank is mildly hallucinogenic. He says, "oh yeah, definitely, my depth perception is off". We agree the feeling is very agreeable, mild, pleasant.

My new best friends, Leroy & Wendell (holding the bottle).
Look closely at the picture above. I didn't notice until Harrison pointed out later that Wendell is wearing a GLOVE to handle the bottle!


We finish lunch & head to the beach at Megan's bay to swim & lounge. I spend the next 2 hours really grooving to some favorite tunes, digging the sun & the beach vibe.

Gotta go back & get the formula for that stuff ...

.......

Postscript: Based in what Wendell told me this is the stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment