Friday, December 27, 2013

Met One of My Hero's This Morning



This is one of those things that happens and makes you think maybe there is some magic in the universe because the odds are just so astounding. 

I have studied the work of Bob Garrison a.k.a. “The Trail Bandit” for several years now. He has made some of the most detailed maps of St. John and has been on a personal crusade to keep old, odd trails cleared for everyone’s enjoyment. Lots of fights with the park service, etc… classic man vs. city hall stuff. Website here: www.trailbandit.org

I have spent many hours studying his maps and use them to plan every hike.

So we are hiking in a very, very remote area - this is not a place typical hikers will go. It’s a trail Bob has marked and maintained thru some old ruins (Seiben Estate). We exploit the trail and ruins and eventual climb to where the trial head meets the L'Esperance trail coming down from Centerline Road. 

I hear some voices in the distance and then we round a bend and there are three people walking towards us. They are startled and I hear one of the them say, “look, other people” - something they clearly did not expect to see (neither did we). 

We approach and begin to talk about the trail. One of them looks oddly familiar but I can’t really place him. He offers us a printed map. I tell him I have one on my iPhone. He says, “Oh, must be the trail bandit app”. And then it clicks for me. I say, “You look a bit like him”. 

He says, “That’s because I am him”.

I am star struck. This is a personal hero of mine. Five minutes either way and we would never have met on the trail.


This photo is destined for my wall.
The Trail Bandit is standing next me. 

He tells me this is his last tour here. He is in his 70’s and will update the map for 2014 and then he wants to hand off to someone else. "How old are you?", he asks me with just a hint of twinkle in his eye. Would I be interested? 

We talked for a bit and agreed we might follow up by email.

Coincidence or karma?

A good friend of mine always says, "There are no coincidences."

No comments:

Post a Comment